Monday, August 21, 2006

How the Heck. . .?

Wow, this is going to be hard. How do people do it? And I'm single! No kids! Responsible only for myself! I don't see how people go to seminary while they have families. I'm feeling overwhelmed and I don't have to come home and cook dinner for anyone, or take kids to soccer practice, or help kids with homework, or be attentive to a husband, etc. My goodness. I really admire the ones with families who do it. I admire those who are married without kids who do it, too.

Orientation started today, and I'm very excited about the people here. It feels refreshing after Greek to have some new faces around. I'm so thankful, because I was getting quite worried that I wouldn't have many friends here at all.

And it was exciting to talk about field education, cross-cultural experiences, etc. A little annoying to realize how much more money you're expected to spend on a requirment that must be met this year. . .but the possibilities are exciting. Right now, I'm thinking about either 10 days in Appalachia or 10 days in rural Wisconsin living with logging and farming families. Both of those experiences would give me something new to experience. Not sure what I'll choose yet, and of course the Latin America and Mexico opportunities always appeal to me. Though I've done that before, so I think I should try something new. We'll see.

Dad was here all day yesterday and left today. I was sad when he left--good thing I had to be back at orientation, so I didn't have a chance to sit around by myself and be sad. :(

I'm going to bed. . .I'm exhausted. Goodnight, all.

5 Comments:

Blogger Becky said...

Yeah, I'm glad there are more people on campus now for you to hang out with...even if it's not me.
Have a great rest of the week.

7:25 AM  
Blogger sarah said...

Woo... my friend Janette's family farms in rural Wisconsin... maybe you could stay with them! :)

I s'pose that wouldn't be the point, though...

12:49 PM  
Anonymous pat rocks the house said...

um....what's up with the disappearing posts?

10:04 AM  
Blogger Granny Annie said...

I am going to try to explain this. I was a single college student with the weight of the world on my shoulders. I would never have dreamed that I could manage single parenting, a full time job AND college -- but I did that too. It is like living in a Mobile Home. You wouldn't believe how much room there is to store things in a mobile home and that is because you have to be organized to live there. Everything goes in its place and as long as you put it back where it belongs, you can even add more. You are truly stressed now and your work load is heavy, but as your life fills up, you become more organized. It all fits -- don't worry! Remember we don't get more than we can handle:-)

12:52 PM  
Blogger Leslie said...

Bring back the blog, bring back the blog, bring back the blog ...

11:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home