Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Westlake grads and Lauren (Guess which one is me!)

I led the benediction at baccalaureate for WHS, and I thought of how much has happened in my life since my own high school graduation. Six years now. More than halfway to my 10-year reunion. When I sat amongst my fellow Arlington High School grads in May 2000 (go Colts!), I know I had different plans for my life than what actually has happened. I was going to be an orthodontist! I was going to meet the man of my dreams in college and marry him shortly thereafter! I was never going to work in the church!

Ha.

And what's funny is that, six years from now, I'll be saying the same things. I like how life is a constant surprise. Makes it more interesting, wouldn't you agree?

*******

I'm starting to enter the "last lunch/supper" stage of my time here. Today I'm having lunch with Rebecca, who has been an extremely influential "second mother" for me here in Austin. No doubt tears will be shed. My goodbye party is this Saturday, and over 50 people are attending. I'm receiving e-mails and phone calls with the sweetest messages, such as this one:

At the last confirmation class I am remembering one of the crazy 8th grade boys asking if they could call the new youth leader "Lauren." I really think there was more to that than trying to be funny. . .a compliment in their 8th grade way. I second it.

This is not the last time I will say goodbye to a place that has meant a lot to me; but since it's the first, I think it will always have its own significance. . .

Peace, my friends!

4 Comments:

Blogger Becky said...

You're making me get all teary eyed already!!

12:55 PM  
Blogger trishy said...

I think I'll sing you a little song:

Memories, like the corner of my mind.
Misty water colored memories...

Haha. See you on the river in two days!!!

8:01 AM  
Blogger Leah said...

Update, dammit.

4:50 PM  
Blogger InHisGlory said...

"I like how life is a constant surprise. Makes it more interesting, wouldn't you agree?"

I agree! I am planning my college graduation party - oh yeah, I'm finally graduating next year! :) - and I was thinking back to my HS graduation...

"In five years, I will have graduated from TLU, I will have met the man of my dreams, and I will be working at Carl Schurz as an elementary teacher"

NOT!

In 7 years I have met a few guys, one of which was the man of my dreams - till the end, I transferred from TLU and pretty much started over, and I am still waiting for that dream job at Carl Schurz.

Life is funny that way.

1:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home