Wednesday, March 08, 2006

Viva Mexico

I leave with our high schoolers on Sunday morning for our mission trip to Juarez, Mexico with Casas por Cristo. When I was in high school, my dad and I went together on these trips with our church, and it's an experience we still talk about. Those trips in my high school years were very influential. . .I think they gave me a glimpse into my passion for ministry in other countries, specifically Mexico and Central/South America.

I learned a lot about myself on those trips, and so when I became a youth director, I decided to take my kids on the same mission trip. They loved it. They couldn't wait for the next trip. It was so cool to watch the kids in Mexico--to watch them work (we really do build a house from the ground-up in 5 days. Promise. Sounds crazy, but it's true.), to watch them play with the Mexican children, to watch them care for each other, to watch them sacrifice everyday comforts to serve God's people. We don't shower for 5 days (well, maybe we can, but most of us don't). We sleep on a cold church floor. We wear the same workclothes (and usually sleep in them, too, because we're too exhausted/cold to change--plus, you'll just put 'em back on in the morning!). We make our own meals, sometimes eating dinner at 9 or 10 pm. We make new friends. We laugh. We pray. We live for a week away from Austin and find out that the world outside is full of things and people to discover and to love. I think it is very important for kids to travel outside of their comfort zones. And I don't mean to Cozymel, Mexico on a cruise. I mean to the border or to the inner-city. There is a certain compassion and knowledge that one cannot escape once one has entered a poor part of the world that demands attention. And many people, upon visiting, cannot leave it the way they found it. In fact, many feel called to return again and again.

For pictures from last year's trip, check out my blog entry about it. (I tried to link to it, but it's being weird. Go here and scroll down to the entry dated March 21 if you're really interested. I'll be impressed if you actually work that hard to find it.) I think this year's trip will be wonderful. . .I just have to get there first. Planning a youth trip is extremely stressful. But that's probably due in large part to the fact that I insist on doing everything myself. Therefore, I'm running around crazy right now. Back to work!

By the way, any prayers for our mission group would be greatly appreciated. :) Even though I'm going kinda crazy right now, I know from many trips in the past that God always has a way of pulling things together perfectly. God's just cool like that, yo.

5 Comments:

Blogger trishy said...

You know you've got my prayers.
..

....



........



..............

And call me, you big boo whore! :)

8:55 AM  
Blogger Becky said...

Have fun and stay safe while you're in Mexico. I want my precious Lauren to come back so we can hang out!!

I'll miss you tons, but I'll most likely be flirting with the cute ski instructor to really worry about it!
See you later.

12:03 PM  
Blogger Rob West said...

If the border patrol gives you any trouble, mention my name. Those guys owe me.

8:24 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

a few pesos....

http://www.getmad.ca

1:30 PM  
Blogger Me Over Here said...

Buena suerte, chica! Espero que pase un buen vacacion! Te amo mucho, mi hermana. Adios para ahora, pero no tiempo muy largo!

(Um, I'm not sure if that made sense...Spanish was a LONG time ago for me. But you get my drift.)

5:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home