Saturday, March 18, 2006

Like Sunshine & Rain

I just finished wiping away the tears that came after reading what some of the youth and sponsors wrote on my "affirmation sheet." We do these at the end of each mission trip--everyone writes their name on a sheet of paper and they all get passed around for everyone else to write on. At the end, you have a page (or more) full of notes and affirmation from everyone in the group. It's quite touching. I've even kept some of mine from high school youth group. Anyway, all of the kids mentioned something about being sad that I'm leaving, but the part that made me cry was their recognition of God's call in my life and the fact that they're not selfish about it because they know I'm not leaving just to leave them. As one freshman put it, "I'm not worried because I know you are going where God leads you, and I am content with that." Wow. To be sad about something and at the same time recognize the bigger picture--this is not normally the thought process of teenagers. :) I may be biased ;), but mine are the best.

Our trip was a bit stressful for me. I joked with the kids that, since this is my last trip with them and all others have gone relatively smoothly, God's laughing because God knows I'll definitely remember my last trip with Shepherd of the Hills. No doubt about it. But even through the stress, I laughed so hard and experienced such joy. That's the best word for it. It was joyful. Few complaints. Many smiles. I'll say it again, my youth group is the best ever. (Kinda like a parent, each youth minister thinks his/her kids are the absolute best. I'm sure when I work at another church, I'll say the same thing. . .but there will always be a special place in my heart for the SOTH kids.) And this particular group on this particular trip was amazing. I do believe it was the perfect mix of people. I love them all and I will miss them so very much.

Here are some pictures. . .Blogger is being a boo whore about uploading pics today, so I might post more later.

Here I am posing for the camera while my kids work hard. I'm such a good leader. :)

This is Liliana, a precious girl full of personality. She made us smile a lot.

Alycia and I work on the soffets (?) around the roof of the house. Alycia looks confused. Power tools are my friends.

Here's our group after we got back to church--all fresh 'n clean!

*******

In other news, I'm spending the day chillin' in the beautiful weather that the storms from last night left behind. Lee-lee's back in town and we're going to the park. I have lots of people to catch up with whom I have missed, so some phone calls are in order.

Do you ever take a second to reflect on how you've acted and feel utterly disgusted with yourself? I kinda feel that way right now. When I step outside myself, I realize that if someone was acting the way I am acting, I would be horribly annoyed with that person. Yuck. I need a relaxing day in the sunshine to clear my head. Good thing I am loved in spite of myself.

Have a great day!

10 Comments:

Blogger Becky said...

Lauren, I'm so glad you're back from your trip. It looks and sounds like everything was amazing. I'm glad that you had a great last trip with your youth.

I'm the same way, I definitely think my group is one of the bests. I love them all so much.

I can't wait to see you!!
Love you tons!

1:29 PM  
Blogger Leslie said...

Your last paragraph seems abrupt.

1:56 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

Agreed. Very abrupt.

5:50 PM  
Blogger Lauren said...

Dang, sorry peeps! But I guess the last paragraph does come out of nowhere. Deal wid it. I'm random. :)

6:17 PM  
Blogger Chris the Geek said...

you help people! awesome

-- chris

p. s. the shirt is at geekfitters.com

1:46 AM  
Blogger Rob West said...

Just to be contrary, I'm going to disagree with everyone. I don't think that last paragraph was abrupt at all. I think the rest of the post was.

I mean seriously.. where the hell did this whole "Trip To Mexico" thing come from?!

;-)

8:07 AM  
Blogger Lauren said...

*Laurey smiles at Rob*

10:01 AM  
Blogger Lauren said...

Oh my gosh--Chris the Geek, I just now realized that you're the guy from Beauty & the Geek who wore that cool shirt!! ("I put the stud in study") Wow, it's like meeting a famous person. I'm in awe.

10:14 AM  
Blogger Rob West said...

Wow, a real geek here in Swankytown! I don't know whether to be more honored or threatened!

My friend Roshan told me just recently that he knew someone on Beauty and the Geek. I think his name was Ankur. I don't know.. the show comes on either on Bowling night or Poker night.
But he also met Cher this past weekend at Wendy's.
No one ever comes to Wendy's in Winston-Salem.
I did meet the Channel 12 news guy once. But come to think of it, that was at Roshan's house. Got his kite stuck in Roshan's tree. We held it for ransom.

What were we talking about again?

11:58 AM  
Blogger trishy said...

A celebrity in Swankytown? Chris the Geek: are you Trishalicious?

....


.....


Wow, I read that and think "Trish, you sound really stuck up." And I'm totally not. Just using the phrase that Mr. Mayor so affectionately coined.

7:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home