Sunday, February 26, 2006

Today we had a mini-retreat for the 6th graders at church and, as usual, I found myself trying hard to keep from laughing (quite unsuccessfully, I must add) as they said the silliest things. One boy (named Joe) insisted on being called Fabio the entire time. So of course I couldn't say that with a straight face. At any given point for the three hours we were together, either me or Steve (the pastor) might say, "Fabio, can you open your Bible and read this passage, please?" Oh my gosh, I couldn't stand it. And then, when Fabio DID read a passage, it was the one that talks about how, since Jesus has come to make all things new, there is now neither Gentile nor Jew, slave nor free, etc. Well, when Fabio reads this, he says, "therefore, there is not Genital or Jew. . ." He caught himself, which of course initiated a huge fit of laughter from everyone in the room, including Steve and myself. Luckily, Steve is more mature than I am. I sometimes worry about my "disciplinary skills"--I'm not the best at suppressing my laughter. And sometimes life is funny, even and especially at church. Kids say funny things--and the reason it's so hilarious is because it's so innocent. I guess as I get older, things might get less funny. . .I don't know. I just laugh so dang easily and once people (esp. kids) know how easy it is to get me off-topic, they definitely take advantage of it. They obviously like to make me laugh--I can't decide if this is a good or bad thing. :)

Talked to Court for a good two hours this weekend, which was lovely. I've missed her. Leah and I got to hang out and do nothing this weekend, too, which was nice. Shopped a little bit, packed up some old clothes to take to Goodwill, chilled out and watched TV. . .it was nice. And I was at church all freakin' day today, so I'm a bit tired.

Which means I'm outta here for now. Have a good week, friends.




I talked about Lent tonight with the high schoolers, and this quote stuck out to me:
We begin this season of Lent not only reminded of our death but marked for death, and that path of death is about our transformation.
~Dr. Marcus J. Borg

5 Comments:

Blogger Chris said...

I believe a kid mistakenly saying "Genital" instead of "Gentile" is extremely adorable and quite alright, primarily because anyone who has read the Bible has more than likely made the same mistake and thought similarly. Plus, it's not like we're all saints sitting in church, anyway - and if someone is going to make such a slip in church, it's going to be a child because, well, we're less conscientious when we're kids...

at least, I was.

1:57 PM  
Blogger Rob West said...

My priest, Fr. Connell, has been known to say "Shit" during a homily before.

I'm back.

2:43 PM  
Blogger Emily said...

Craziness, you just gotta love those kiddos ;-) And don't worry about cultivating your disciplinary skills... Just be who you are; that's why they love you!

Who knows, maybe your "relating" to them on that goofy level will be just what they need for them to learn to love the Lord.

BTW when you are a pastor, what will people call you? Pastor Lauren? Mother Dow? Sister? Hey you? Just a question...

3:49 PM  
Blogger Lauren said...

Em, my preferred clergy name will be "Father Lauren". . .but I don't know if people will go for that. :)

Actually, I plan to go by Pastor Lauren. Maybe Pastor Dow, but I like Pastor Lauren better. Eeek, it all sounds so. . .weird! Good thing I have another 4 years before this happens.

5:59 PM  
Blogger Leslie said...

Emily's right. I like Mother Dow. But I think it should be Mutha Dow.

1:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home