Tuesday, January 31, 2006

A Rant & A Proposal

Oh my gosh. I am so mad at American Idol right now. I know entertainment is important but DANG. I know it's funny to watch the "bad auditions," but DANG. What the heck? After going through the audition I went through and watching tons of people with awesome voices get turned away, I'm turned off by the entertainment industry. Way turned off. For those of you unfamiliar with the audition process, it takes a LOT of auditions to get to Simon, Paula, and Randy. The "bad" people had to get cleared to the next level many times by many judges. Annoying. They deliberately let the "bad" people through (over me! how dare they! :) just to 1) allow them to make fools of themselves on national television, and, more importantly 2) provide America with some laughs. It may sound like sour grapes, but I'm going to say it anyway: American Idol, I didn't want to be on your show, anyway! As I watched the episode tonight, I just kept staring at the TV and saying (okay, oftentimes yelling), "How did YOU get through??" If you're going to advertise that you're looking for talent, then why the heck did you let these people through over others? It's insulting.

Okay. Now I'm done. And wow, I sound really bitter and even more cocky. My apologies. I'm really not either of those. But I had to get that out.

Yesterday I was running in the neighborhood and I overheard a conversation between two women on my street. I smiled when I realized they were talking about how one of them got engaged over the past weekend. One thing she said caught me. "I was wearing this ugly sweatshirt," she laughed to her friend. Apparently (from what my ever-curious ears gathered) the proposal was anticipated, but the woman really had no idea how it would happen. Her comment about the sweatshirt stuck out to me because I want to be wearing an ugly sweatshirt when I'm proposed to, as well. Well, something along those lines, at least. See, I don't really want an extremely fancy dinner or an excursion to the top of the Eiffel Tower or whatever. Honestly, I don't think the man of my dreams and I would be doing those types of things very often, anyway. That's not my style. I want to be proposed to while I'm doing, well, something normal. I want to be totally taken by surprise. Court and I were talking about it, and we thought it'd actually be kinda cool if we were taken to a nice dinner as a sort of false alarm. Let's face it--if you're in a serious relationship and you've talked about marriage, then it seems that a proposal wouldn't entirely be a surprise. But if you're thrown off a little by a fancy dinner, then he pops the question later while you're watching TV in your T-shirt and pajama pants. . .THAT'S beautiful. That says, "This is what I want--to spend everyday life with you. Every day. Sure, we'll go out and have fancy "romantic" time, but the reason I want to marry you is because you're YOU. Right here. Just you."

*sigh* That's it, folks. That's love. And there are numerous ways to fit a proposal into everyday life. I want creativity, but not necessarily extravagance. And honestly, I think this is what many women want. So there you go, guys. Cancel that reservation at the five-star restaurant that you'd really be kinda uncomfortable at anyway, and invite your girl over for your specialty: together time, a walk in the park, cooking dinner. Pop the question during a random time. That's my two cents. :)

*NOTE*
By no means am I belittling fancy marriage proposals. I do think they are romantic and I love hearing about them just like anyone else. I'm just reflecting on what I think I want. And really, I don't have much say in how I'm proposed to. That's not really something I have (or want) control of. But in my thoughts for today, this is what came out. An engagement is exciting and wonderful no matter how it comes about. End of story.

12 Comments:

Blogger Chris said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

7:22 PM  
Blogger Lauren said...

Well, Capn, I will say this: I agree with you that the "ugly old sweatshirt" thing might be an exaggeration. But I guess what I'm saying is that the concept of being naturally ME when proposed to, despite what I'm wearing, is what captivates me. I might be dressed up, who knows. . .but I want to be natural and comfortable. That's the bottom line.

BTW, your proposal idea is really sweet, I think.

8:09 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

8:42 PM  
Blogger Lauren said...

ummm. . .I really was talking to someone, guys. Promise. I'm not crazy.

7:06 AM  
Blogger trishy said...

Lauren, do you see dead people?

7:26 AM  
Blogger Rob West said...

Finally, a girl with some sense about her.

When I meet a girl who wants to be taken to the fanciest place in the world and be proposed to by a man on one knee who is crying and who has arranged for the moon to explode into fireworks forming the words "Marry me" at the precise moment, all so he can prove he loves her, I think "what a shallow bitch."

On the other hand, knowing I have a girl who just wants to be with ME, and that I don't have to impress her because it doesn't matter what I do, makes me want to be all fancy and romantic about it.
And then she'll say no because she hates fancy and romantic.
SO I guess I need to find a shallow bitch.
Comfused? You won't be after this episode of SOAP!

12:10 PM  
Blogger Lauren said...

I don't think girls like me HATE fancy and romantic things. When I'm in love with someone and know it's most definitely right, then I will say yes. Period. No matter how it's done. Even if I think it's cheesy. Even if I think he spent too much time and money on the "perfect moment."

12:17 PM  
Blogger Me Over Here said...

I love to be surprised, so as long as that element is there, I should be okay. However, I'm going to have to go kinda opposite and say, I would LIKE something out of the ordinary. You can watch t.v. anytime...but to get engaged? that only happens once, and I want it to be something I always remember. Maybe not at a fancy restaurant, but a special trip or something planned with my friends and family around. Ultimately, I want it to be his decision!

1:02 PM  
Blogger Huw said...

I'd need a special location rather than infront of the TV. If only to visit on anniversaries, and say "look kids, this is where I asked yer mum to marry me!", and then start snogging her to gross them out.

Dear me. I can't wait to have some sprogs to mortify on a daily basis.

1:13 PM  
Blogger Rob West said...

Huw,

I'm with you. I've spent most of my life practicing on other people's kids. It's gonna be G-R-E-A-T!

1:23 PM  
Blogger Lauren said...

Good thoughts, good thoughts.

Twin--I agree that the surprise element is really the most exciting thing about it.

And Huw--I like the idea of having a special place to show the kiddos.

I agree with everyone. It's a special time and it does deserve special-ness. Though I always seem drawn to the seemingly unremarkable proposals--like in the movie Stepmom, when the guy proposes to Julia Roberts right when she wakes up in the morning. Cute cute.

1:31 PM  
Blogger trishy said...

I'm going to have to give props to Richie here. He did it on the lake at our favorite spot...very simple and very romantic. And then we had the fancy dinner, but I was much more interested in staring at my finger than eating!

7:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home