Wednesday, January 11, 2006

Preschool Chapel Comedic Moments

Bennett: "Lauren! Knock Knock!"
me: "Who's there?"
Bennett: "Banana!"
me (thinking I know where this is going, but who am I kidding?): "Banana who?"
Bennett: "Banana take off your underpants!"

My reaction was probably not exactly what the teachers wanted. I laughed. I can't help it. Then I said, "Um, Bennett, that's not very. . .nice, buddy."

Then we're saying the Lord's Prayer and I hear one of the girls in the front row, loud and clear, "Our Father, who art in heaven, hallowed be my name. My kingdom come, my will be done. . ."

Cute cute.

****
So, on to more thought-provoking issues in the world of Lorena. I've been thinking lately how quickly I get antsy at a particular job or task or whatever. To explain further--my whole life has pretty much been set in increments of which I had no control. Besides graduating early from college, I have been on the same track as everyone else my age. So when I started this job, I figured I'd be here about 3 years before moving on to something else. It's turning out to be 2.5 years here, which I'm fine with. I'm ready to do something else. But then I think about being a pastor and serving somewhere for way more than 3 years. I seriously doubt I'll jump up and move around a lot. Not that I'll stay in the same place for 20 years (because I think that would drive me crazy), but I bet I'd stay in one place for 5 or 6 years at the very least. This kinda scares me because I get jumpy, I get anxious for new things. Maybe it means I'll just have to keep challenging myself in some way--more school, more time for hobbies, etc. It just seems weird that I'd be in a certain position for more than 2 or 3 years. I honestly can't imagine myself not becoming extremely antsy for something new.

But then I think about how much the other parts of my life will be changing, too. I hope to get married, I hope to have kids. . .these things may create the challenges I need to keep from getting bored with my career. I just wonder how people stay in the same place for work for so many years. While I will miss this church dearly when I leave (I've already had a couple of teary moments due to sweet notes from members or comments from staff about me leaving--and it's only January! I'm going to be a wreck come May!), I still know without a doubt that I couldn't be here much longer without absolutely going crazy from wanting to "move on to the next step in life." How many steps are there for me? Will I always want to move on or will I at some point find a place where I'm satisfied? Will there come a time when I don't find myself constantly looking ahead?

Hmmm.

Since some of you have asked, I have no updates on the prowler around my house. I guess that's a good thing. :) Court might be going to SA tonight, which scares me a bit because I'd be home alone. . .so I think I'm going to beg her to stay. I'm sure she wouldn't mind. :)

Have a good one!





The first star I see may not be a star.
We can't do a thing but wait
So let's wait for one more.
~Jimmy

8 Comments:

Blogger trishy said...

I think people our age tend to feel the same way and I think it has everything to do with our age and stage in life.

In our early childhood, we climbed and climbed toward grade school. Then we got there and we stayed there for a loooong time. This isn't really a choice, but we're also at a place in our lives where we settle into the routine of school, grade ater grade after grade. And then we graduate!

College is a new adventure, much more exciting than before, and we settle into that, but four years (5,6,7 for some) later, we are ready to move on.

Each of these is a plateau of sorts. We climb to get there and then we stay a while.

We're still in climbing mode in our early twenties, because there are so many plateaus to reach: first job, first job you actually like, first job where you actually feel like you're doing what you were meant to do, first real love that borders on an adult relationship, marriage, children...

We climb towards each of these, and reach their respective plateaus, and soon after find that it is time to climb again. But at some point, we get to the place where we have all the things in life that we wanted, or rather all the things that make our lives seem complete and our souls content. We reach that plateau that stretches over the vast expanse of our lives, and it is a good place. It doesn't become boring because there are adventures to be had and moments to be savored on that plateau that don't involve climbing.

So climb on, my dear - so many things await you!

(wow, I should really write a book - I'm so freakin' wordy!)

9:12 AM  
Blogger Becky said...

Lauren,
You are the wind beneath my wings.
I hear you on the getting antsy. In college our lives changed every sememester with different schedules and activities. And when you're in a job...there's really now change (except for maybe in the summer when life is crazy). The excitement kind of leaves when you wake up and go to work, come home, and do it all over again the next day.

Plus, we've gotten to travel a lot this year and have adventures. Once you're married or have children things change. It's going to be scary, but it's also going to be awesome. I was thinking too, my dad has been at the same job for like 20 years. Granted he's gotten higher and higher in the rankings, but 20 years...that's a lot of one job. I like having something new come up.

I've definitely been wanting to get together sometime SOON. We haven't seen each other since New Years. That's a very long time. We are due for something. I'll enjoy lunch with all the ladies tomorrow, but for sure we'll need our own time.
Love ya girl. talk to you later.

9:14 AM  
Blogger Leah said...

That's not funny about Bennett. He is not a funny kid. Especially when he spits in your face and yells "PoopLeah! PoopLeah!" over and over again. Don't flatter that kid, even in your blog until YOU have to sit with him for 11 hours.

Hahaha, I think it's kind of sad that I hold a grudge of annoyance against a four year old...

12:52 PM  
Blogger trishy said...

just wanted you to know I have corrected my fatal error on the nicknames bit!

12:54 PM  
Blogger Lauren said...

Trish and Becky--I'm so thankful you guys "get" me. I love your insightful commentary!

Lee-lee--All I have to say is, "mmmm. peppermint bark."

1:29 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

I hear you.

I've only been at my current job doing what I do for a little less than a year now, but already I'm starting to sense the utmost desire for some sort of change before it's all said and done. And while I realize that I'm extremely fortunate to have the job I have, I still sometimes want to do something else - something better.

Like you, I don't now how some people can hold one job for 25 years without losing their minds. Some days I nearly lose mine when things get a little too monotonous and routine, which is everyday. In fact, if I didn't listen to music while at work, I would be insane right now.

So I'm all for moving on. I'm a bit of a rambler, too be honest. It's in my blood.

7:18 PM  
Blogger Rob West said...

Aitch em em em em em....

I wish I could relate more, actually. I think I'm the opposite. Although maybe not.

When I find something I like, I tend to get VERY comfortable with it. Too much so, in fact. I get to the point where it feels like one small change rips my whole life apart. Although it's been years since I was that comfortable. Perhaps I've grown out of that ultimately-destructive habit.

On the other hand, I know what it's like to be ready to move on. At my first college, UNCG, (wherein I did make acquaintance of the Right Noble Capn!) I was so uncomfortable I became unstable emotionally.

Right now, Winston-Salem is not without it's charm, but my uses for this town are steadily growing thinner. I have some great friends here, but I am beginning to wonder what else is out there.

Ultimately, though, I know that I want to find the perfect place for me, make my home there, make a family out of the community there, and become a lifelong member.

7:32 AM  
Blogger Rob West said...

I posted that last comment before I read what Trishinator's comment.

Beautifully worded, Trishy! I couldn't have said it better myself.

7:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home