Sunday, January 22, 2006

Naps, Showers, and Old White Men

It's a cold and rainy day here in the ATX. Perfect nap weather, which I just took advantage of by sleeping for 2 hours after church. Naps have to be one of my favorite things--that is, if I get a good one. There are different kinds of naps, you know. Sometimes you wake up and feel even more tired than when you went to sleep. Sometimes you sleep for just the right amount of time in just the right way and you feel the way a nap should make you feel--rested. Sometimes I drool during naps. And I don't ever drool when I sleep at night. Weird. Sometimes I'll have crazier dreams during naps than I've ever had during the night. Interesante. Anyway.

I went to a baby shower this weekend, which was super fun. . .but weird, because I realized that this was the first baby shower I've been to on my own. I'd been to them with my mom years ago, but now my friends are having babies?! Huh? Cu-razy. It was really cute, though. Baby food and diapers and cute little clothes. One lady said to me, "So Lauren, doesn't this make you want to get married and have babies?" I laughed and said, "Uh, not really, actually." Which surprised me. I think not too long ago I would've been dreaming of my own marriage and kids and all the loving women who would throw me showers. . .and at this point in my life, I have other plans. Of course I DO think about those things--even at the shower I thought things like, "I wonder what it will be like. . ." etc. And I don't think it's bad to think those things--I don't tell myself I shouldn't. Because regardless, I'm a girl (a romantic and dreamy girl, at that) and will always wonder what my own "big days" will be like, who they will be with, etc. But it's different b/c I'm satisfied with my life right now, and quite frankly, marriage and a baby would kinda throw off my plans right now. :) Although I admit that I have absolutely no idea of the timing of these things in my life--God tends to keep surprsing me--but the point is, I'm not pining away for a different life than I have. And I'm thankful for this. It's much more fun to enjoy what I have rather than wonder when I'll get what I don't have.

I'm headed to Dallas (D-Town!) tomorrow thru Wednesday for our Tri-Synodical Conference. Should be fun. A bunch of Lutheran pastors (read: old white men) and me! Just kidding. There will be some young folks there, but not too many, so I'm glad some of us are bringing the age level down a bit. Not that I'm complaining about old white men. Some of these old white men have been significant people in my life. Anyway, I'll stop trying to dig out of this hole. I'm going to Dallas and hopefully I'll get to see my family a bit while I'm there. Otherwise, I might go home this weekend (Lizzie's birthday!); however, I haven't made up my mind quite yet. Two trips to the Metroplex in one week? Hmmm. Decisions, decisions.

Love to all. Have a fantabulous week!





'Cause it's you and me and all of the people
With nothing to do, nothing to prove
And it's you and me and all of the people
and I don't know why I can't keep my eyes off of you
~Lifehouse

6 Comments:

Blogger trishy said...

I totally drool during naps, too, and never at night. What's up with that?

1:49 PM  
Blogger Rob West said...

It's because you tend to sleep more lightly during naps.

You're still slightly awake, and when you're fully asleep, your salivation slows down a little. That's why you usually have drymouth in the morning, and bad breath. You mouth gets dirtier.

It's also why you have weirder and more vivid dreams during naps. You dream a lit when you sleep, but overnight you tend to not remember them. When you nap, a "dream" is really more like a super-intense day dream. You remember it, because you're away enough to pay attention to it, but you're relaxed enough to completely let it take over you.

That's Mr Know-it-All's answer. You have to know these things when you're Mayor, you know?

8:22 AM  
Blogger Becky said...

I drool all the time...not just during naps or at night...sometimes I'll just be relaxed laying on the sofa and be like...yuck...I'm such a baby.

Anyways...I too went to a Baby shower this weekend. It was just very nice. I'm super excited for this woman although her kids are still somewhat struggling with it. I'm as happy as a clam. Most likely because it doesn't really affect me directly.

I dream of getting married and having a family and all that wonderful stuff life brings you. But I'm happy now, as I know you are as well. Life is good...

Have a great time in Dallas...I'll miss you tons!

1:13 PM  
Blogger Rich said...

yummy old white men are my favorite!

7:30 PM  
Blogger Lauren said...

Trishy, totally unrelated to your comment: I can't wait to see you in a few weeks!!

Robby, you certainly ARE Mr. Know-It-All. . .thank you for your wisdom, dear Mayor. ;)

Becky, I've missed you this week. Let's hang out.

Rich, oh my goodness. You crack me up. :)

1:58 PM  
Blogger trishy said...

Damn. He found us...

2:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home