Wednesday, December 14, 2005

Christmas Parties & Such

I now know why people don't drink during the middle of the workday. All I want to do is take a nap, but I'm in a brightly lit office with work spread out on my desk. I'm tired and I feel kinda weird. Let me explain before one thinks I'm drunk from some crazy lunchtime escapade. . .

I love working at a church because the members are so generous--all the time, but especially at Christmas time. They leave us little goodies on the counter by the coffee pot with notes that say, "Thanks for all you do" and we get random gift cards for local restaurants or Starbucks in our mailboxes. All because we are church staff and they love us. It's awesome. And then there are the church Christmas parties. Lots of 'em. Moms' Bible Study party was today and Alycia, Jane, and I were invited to join them for free food and, little did I know til we arrived, mimosas! I'm a sucker for mimosas and Alycia and I just grinned at each other and put our fingers to our mouths in the "Shhh!" gesture as we enjoyed our first sips. :) I only had one, and I ate quite a lot of food, but I feel really drowsy and ready for bed. And it's 12:30 pm. So, as I said, now I know why people don't (shouldn't) drink during the day. Yucky.

I have another Christmas party tonight, don't know if there will be alcohol there, but I do know that all of our significant others are invited. Now I know just last week I announced to the world wide web how lovely it is to be single. . .but I hadn't gone to any Christmas parties yet. . .and let me tell ya--this is my second Christmas in a row without a significant other and I'm kinda wishin' I had someone to do the romantic Christmas-y things with. But but BUT, rest assured that I'm not turning into the bitter single woman quite yet. I'm enjoying the fact that I don't have to worry about what to buy a boy this Christmas--besides my brother and dad, but that's not quite as hard as buying for a boyfriend or, even worse, a new boyfriend.

I've also heard this question a lot lately: "Are you ready for Christmas?" It's usually asked of a group of people ("Is everyone ready for Christmas?") and people immediately talk about how they're so not ready and they wish they had more time to buy for everyone, and their families are being uncooperative with Christmas plans, and this and that, yada yada yada. And I feel sorta the same way--I have to bring food for parties, I have to buy presents, I still have parties with the youth group coming up that need details taken care of. But my answer to this question is always YES!! I am always ready for Christmas, in more ways than one. I'm always ready for the feeling of Christmas, the decorations, the food, the getting-together-and-singing-carols-around-the-piano (which we did at the party today and it was soooo fun) things that you don't stop everything and do at any other time during the year. And really, it's not about us being ready, anyway. Jesus comes into our lives whether we're ready or not. He was born into a world that wasn't really ready at all for what He was about to bring and show and do. But He still came. And He still comes every minute, every day, whether it's December 25th or July 25th. So I guess the question "Are you ready for Christmas?" really sticks out to me. Because I listen to what others say and I think, "Who cares? Christmas is ready for you! Relax and and enjoy it."

I understand what people mean when they ask that question, and I know that when I'm a mother bustling about in the mall trying to make sure I satisfy each of my children's Christmas wishes, I'll probably answer that question with an exasperated, "No, not quite yet!" But regardless, time marches on without our help and Christmas Day will come and go just like it always has. So whether or not I get everything done, whether or not I'm ready for it doesn't change a thing.


Have a good one, and wait til Happy Hour for that drink. . .trust me on this one. :)

6 Comments:

Blogger sarah said...

Thanks for the mid-day drinking tip...

I hate that people get so wrapped up in all of the pageantry of the secular holiday, when what we're supposed to be remembering is really so simple and wonderful. I'm not saying skip the tree and presents and carols and parties and all that... but when people let holidays stress them out, I just think it's silly.

I, for one, am ready for Christmas. :)

11:45 AM  
Blogger Rob West said...

I can't drink during the day at work. The monkeys will get the better of me, And I don't need that.

I used to drink in class in college. How in the hell...? I dunno. But it wasn't a good idea. I used to go to sleep at 4 in the afternoon and wake up at 9 groggy and hungry, but it was too late to eat and I wouldn't be ready to fall alseep until maybe 3 now. Pretty gay really. No wonder I hated college.

12:11 PM  
Blogger Me Over Here said...

Usually after one drink, I'm ready to go sleepy night night. It will usually take me another (3) drink(s) to get me to the "I'M AWAKE" point.

Trust me, I'm freaking out about buying the NEW boyfriend Christmas presents (especially because he's not here!). I'm sorry you get that feeling about being significant otherless at Christmas time, but at least you save a lot of money (15% or more on car insurance).

Good points, all of them. Stay away from that spiked eggy nog.

1:46 PM  
Blogger trishy said...

I am ALWAYS ready for Christmas. You know how "seasonal" I am, but Christmas captivates me in a way that I am always ready. And just as you said, the Christ-child will come whether we are ready or not, or whether there is room at the inn.

As for drinking during the workday, it is a simple pleasure I only indulge in every now in then with a co-worker. What can I say? He's a bad influence. It seems like a good idea at the time, but then when I return for another 4 hours in the cubicle, I realize the error of my ways!

2:34 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

One time this guy gave me some Grey Goose vodka at work, so I went to my cube and mixed it with some Mountain Dew and got pretty sleepy just sitting there. Of course, it didn't help that I was at work and stay sleepy most of the time anyway.

And concerning significant others at Christmas - it's sort of lonely, yeah, being this is my third - but you never know what may come around. So Confucius says. At least we have the love of others.

5:38 PM  
Blogger Becky said...

Wow, do I feel bad. It's Friday, and I've already drank 3 nights this week...is that bad? It's not drunk drinking...but it's a couple a drinks with friends...
Don't judge me...

7:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home