Tuesday, December 20, 2005

Bars, Lights, and Lullabies

Tonight Carmack came to town and we went to dinner. Carmack's an old college friend of ours who now lives in North Dakota. . .I definitely miss that guy and always look forward to his visits! We tried a new bar, The Tavern on Lamar and 12th, which was actually really good. We of course took the penguins with us, as they wouldn't have it any other way.


Ping and Gwen immediately rushed to the bar and stood on it, waiting for the bartender. They obviously knew what they wanted!

The bartender, a very sweet girl, treated them just like any other customer. She did ask me and Courtney if we were on a scavenger hunt, though. Nope, we're just out with our penguins and they wanted a drink!

The guys sitting next to us at the bar were quite interested in our penguin friends. They offered Gwen a drink. . .flirting? Hmmm. . .

Whoah, slow down, Ping! Before you know it, you'll be. . .

. . .doing things you never thought you'd do with strange men at the bar! Interesting. . .though this guy was definitely cool for posing with penguins.

We had to stop at the grocery store on the way to the Hippie Lights to meet up with some friends, but no sooner had we walked in the door than. . .

. . .the 'guins managed to sneak inside the freezer! Goodness. We kinda felt sorry for them--they were obviously homesick. But then the random sacker guy had to do what we couldn't:

"Come on, guys. You know you can't stay in there." He was kind and understanding, but couldn't allow them to get too comfortable. They reluctantly came out of the freezer and we thought we'd lift their spirits by going to one of Austin's absolute best places ever:

Kerbey Lane, baby!


We concluded our evening out with a stroll through (Austin's) Central Park, which is really just a shopping center. But hey, this picture's cool. :)

********

Okay, so I'm done with the 'guins. . .for a little while, anyway. Call me immature, but my time with them is highly entertaining and definitely attracts some attention.

I'm headed to the other A-town tomorrow to hang with my fam for 4 days! Woo hoo! I'm totally not ready. . .haven't packed a single thing. I doubt I'll be out of here til evening tomorrow. But night drives are fun (as long as I'm awake!).

I took a bubble bath tonight and listened to a new song I downloaded: Goo Goo Dolls' Better Days. It's a good one. I was singing in the bathtub and Court was trying to sleep in the next room. She goes, "Lauren? Can you. . ." and I thought she was going to say, "sing a little softer?" but she said, "come in here and sing to me?" It was sweet. One of the things I love about us--we've always had little goodnight rituals throughout college and even now. . .they change a lot, but saying goodnight is always sweet and silly with us. I'm going to miss living with her. After I sang to her, we talked about how calming that is and we decided we want our husbands to sing to us every once in a while as we go to sleep. Sweet, huh? Another thing to put on my Husband Checklist. ;)

Have a beeeeautiful day. Adios, mis amigos!

So take these words and sing out loud

'Cause everyone is forgiven now

Tonight's the night the world begins again.

~GGD

16 Comments:

Blogger Me Over Here said...

Oh Twin! The more I read, the more I realize we ARE THE SAME PERSON!

Kerby Lane was good. I went there for Nic's birthday breakfast after our night in Austin. It's just that...well, their method of seating people really sucks, and after waiting like, an hour for our table, we went to see what the hold up was...and they had given our table away to someone who SAID they were our party! GAH. It was just a bad experience, but the food was good, so I'll probably go back.

I love Adventures with Penguins!

My roomie and I (Anna, when we lived together) would have our "Ritual". Trash t.v. and scratchies. We would watch The Simpsons and Blind Date, and during one show, one of us would give those really light scratchies on the others back, then when the next show came on, we would switch. A great combo of laughter and comfort which put us right to bed afterwards. I miss her.

OH! And I have always had on my "list": A guy that can sing (and play guitar is bonus). I know that's not going to determine whether or not I marry a guy, but it should would be a nice extra!

6:43 AM  
Blogger sarah said...

Oh! That's so cute. Tell Courtney I miss her and I'm glad the penguins found a little icy respite from all this warm weather!

7:02 AM  
Blogger Lauren said...

Twin: I love roomie rituals! In college, Court and our other roomie, Miriam, and I would have random "Enya nights"--we'd turn off the lights, light some candles, lay in our beds, and listen to Enya. We'd just daydream or talk about what we imagined with the music (fairies in forests, girly things). . .it's something that always brought tears to my eyes every time b/c I'd be thinking, "When else in my life will I live with beautiful girls who 'get' me and we can listen to Enya before we go to bed?" It's truly special to have friends and experiences like that.

Yes, Kerbey Ln. can be frustrating at times. But you're right--the food is wayyyy good, I think. Let's go together sometime!

And. . .I totally have the same thing on my list of "my perfect guy!" Singing and playing guitar (or any instrument) is a HUGE plus. And honestly, I have dated guys who don't have the musical gene. . .and it's not bad, but I think there's something to be said for having that similarity. I love music, so naturally, I want someone who appreciates it as much as I do! Obviously, I'll fall in love with whoever I fall in love with--but I have a feeling he'll have some musical abilities. . .

7:04 AM  
Blogger Becky said...

You, Courtney, Ping, and Gwen seem to be having TOO much fun when you go out. AWESOME!!

I agree with the fact that husbands should sing to their wives every once a while. Mine is going to sing to me all the time since I'm going to marry a rockstar. See you soon...Merry Christmas!!

7:09 AM  
Blogger Lauren said...

yessss, you're definitely marrying a rockstar, chica! ;)

7:10 AM  
Blogger Rob West said...

Man, it's girly in here. This thread could use a Y chromosome.

But it won't go far, since I have to confess, my first girlfriend, back in high school, had a wonderful singing voice. She used to sing to me ver the phone every now and then. I loved it.She wanted me to sing back to her, but I was too shy, usually. Plus it was often 1 in the morning and everyone else in the house was alseep and I wasn't supposed to be on the phone. But now I sing all the time, especially to the monkeys. They hate it.

Also, I just typed the word "pusspoed" instead of supposed. I almost let it publish that way.

7:34 AM  
Blogger trishy said...

Ok, those penguins get out more than I do. I don't beleive I've ever been jealous of a stuffed animal...

Lauren, do you remember the one who sang to me and I couldn't understand a single word? Come on...think hard.

My boy sings to me over the phone. It's cute, because he's not much of a singer, but not bad. Usually it's some kind of silly Trishy, Trishy, I love you song he makes up, but it makes me grin ear to ear every time!

7:40 AM  
Blogger Lauren said...

*sigh* cute, Trish! Rich is so sweet.

Oh yes, I remember the singing boyfriend you once had. ;)

7:58 AM  
Blogger Leah said...

those penguins are gay.

11:16 AM  
Blogger Chris said...

I still want an autograph! [I promise I won't sell it on eBay!]

12:30 PM  
Blogger Lauren said...

Lee-lee, shut UP! You're jealous. And you have one waiting for you. The no-name penguin. Just waiting for you. Maybe I'll bring him (her?) home for you tonight.

1:34 PM  
Blogger Me Over Here said...

Oh Lord, some of the most embarrassing moments I had to endure were when my ex-boyfriend would sing to me over the phone. Now, he was VERY into R&B, so would sing like, 411 and Babyface and Kwiet Storm (no kidding)--and he thought he could REALLY sing, so he'd put all his soul into it. I would hold the phone away from my ear until I heard him stop. And MAN, I was embarrassed for him.

The final straw came when he was visiting me and we were in a bit of a fight. We were heading out somewhere and about to get into my car, and I noticed he had his MP3 player and headphones around his neck. "Why do you have your MP3 player?" "I wanted to sing a song to you". "UM, nonononono...I'm sorry; over the phone is one thing, but in person is another. I can't handle that."

I'm the meanest girlfriend in the world.

6:30 AM  
Blogger Me Over Here said...

My freaking comments are WAY too long, sorry Twin!

6:30 AM  
Blogger Chris said...

I had one girlfrend who always liked it when I'd sing her to sleep. Granted, this didn't happen all the time, but occassionally when we'd be lying on the bed or on the sofa, she'd say, "Sing to me." And I'd always pick the best songs. Her favorite, I think, was "Here, There, and Everywhere" by the Beatles. So now I can't listen to that song without thinking of singing her to sleep.

Now I'm making myself sad. I ought to stop.

6:56 AM  
Blogger Thomas said...

Officially the funniest post I have read on December 22nd.

9:47 AM  
Blogger Lucy said...

Officially the funniest comments I have read on Dec 22nd.

10:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home