Wednesday, November 30, 2005

Teary-Eyed

I just finished meeting with Steve and Alycia for my staff review. And there were a couple of moments when I was near tears. No, not because I was being chewed out. Because I will be leaving this place in six months, and though that seems like a long time, I know it will fly by and all of a sudden, I'll be saying goodbye. Shepherd of the Hills will be starting the hiring process soon for a new youth & family minister, which is going to be really weird for me. I want the very best for this church. When I said that to Steve, he said, "Well, you also know what we need here. . .We need you." He was kidding, of course, but it makes me cry. He said I'll always have a home here. And it really is different than if I were going to work for another church. Going to seminary is a different ballgame. It's saying, "This place has been a huge piece of my call to ministry." I honestly don't think I would be going to seminary had I not worked here first. Well, maybe, but only God knows what's up. *sigh* I'm just teary today. Dang hormones. Yes, it's the glorious phenomenon of women: yesterday I'm laughing at everything and today the slightest thing makes me cry.


I find that the great thing in this world is not so much where we stand, as in what direction we are moving.
~ Oliver Wendell Holmes

7 Comments:

Blogger sarah said...

Hey, six months is a long time, and not a long time, too. It's too early to say goodbye but not too early to get ready to leave. It's a strange time period.

I understand about the laughing/crying... the more Christmas songs I hear on the radio, the happier and sappier I feel... :)

12:44 PM  
Blogger Rob West said...

Awwwww..
CYBER-HUG!


{{{{{{{{{{Laurey!}}}}}}}}}}


(As you can see I squoze pretty hard. Hope you could breathe.)

12:48 PM  
Blogger Emily said...

Hey girl - I liked your quote by Oliver W. Holmes, however the more I thought about it I realized that it embraces our philosophy (and somewhat problem) in life. We are always looking toward the future, not necessarily a bad thing, but we need to enjoy the present and be mindful to the moment. Enjoy where you are right now at Shepherd of the Hills, God put you there for a reason. You have six months left - see what else He has to show you ;-)

7:51 AM  
Blogger Becky said...

Awwww. I'm getting sad already that you're going to be leaving.
That church loves you so much and so do I.
I can't wait to see you tonight!!

8:10 AM  
Blogger Lauren said...

Sarah: you're right--it's a weird time period. Six months into this job, I really began to feel close to the kids and the people here. Six months out from leaving, I don't quite know how to continue the relationships, knowing that I'm leaving. But, as my pastor said, "Keep doing it until you don't do it anymore." or something like that. I think that's good. Full steam ahead!

Robby Rob: I love hugs!

Em: Good point. I was kinda thinking of that quote more in terms of where I stand on issues. . .I always hate that I can't seem to claim a certain stance, and this quote made me feel better, because I know I'm moving somewhere. But since I put it at the end of this post, the reader has no idea what I meant by it. And it makes sense that that I should focus on the present rather than the future. Thanks for shedding new light on it, as always, BFF.

Becks: I'm getting sad about leaving the ATX for personal reasons, too, like friendships! So we have six months to take advantage of...and I have six months to convince you that MN or South Carolina would be perfect places for new adventures. ;)

9:40 AM  
Anonymous Tim said...

The transition period between ministry assignments from the Lord is definitely tough in many different ways. I've been through it several times and am not looking forward to the next one I feel coming toward the end of next summer.

2:01 PM  
Blogger Me Over Here said...

Um, we better hang out before you go anywhere. And I'm glad I'm not alone. Just the slight wording of an email can set me into a bursting episode of tears even at work if it's "one of those days".

Seriously. Hot Chocolate. Soon. Yours or mine.

8:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home