Tuesday, November 29, 2005

Laughing Out Loud

I'm laughing a lot today. Here's why:

1) I watched Love Actually for like the hundredth time last night with Court and Leah and today I've been talking about it with my co-workers and laughing about all the silly parts. Some of my favorite moments: a) when Sam, the 10 year-old, tells his stepdad that the reason he's been bummed out is because he's in love. . .and the stepdad says with relief, "Oh. . .I thought it was worse than that" and Sam goes, "Worse? Worse than the total agony of being in love?" (said with a cute British accent, which I can imitate quite well, I might add--I made everyone laugh at lunch today with my rendition. ;) b) when the old rock star who's now a weird, dirty scoundrel gets on a kids' show on TV and says, "Oh yes, I have a message for you kids. Don't buy drugs. Become a rock star and they give you them for free." c) when the prime minister (Hugh Grant) goes door-to-door in search of Natalie and these three little girls dressed in princess outfits demand that he sing them a carol. . .all of a sudden, his bodyguard bursts into song behind him with a beautiful baritone voice. . .Hugh Grant looks around like, "where did THAT come from?"

And of course, some moments never cease to make me cry: a) when the guy stands at Keira Knightley's character's door and holds up the cards that say his "wasted heart will love" her forever; b) when Emma Thompson's character cries in her bedroom, then pulls it together for her children; c) the very beginning at the airport. . .the scenes of hugs and kisses always gets me.

Court was making fun of me because I kept saying, "Oh, this is my favorite part!" at pretty much every part of the movie. Okay, so I have lots of favorites. :)

2) I'm in love with my new car. Any excuse to be near it, even if it's to grab something to bring back inside, I'm almost skipping out the door and down the steps. I'm in love. Isn't this what love feels like? And it can't reject me! I must believe that it loves me, too.

3) I realize I've forgotten to share a quite funny tidbit from Guatemala that I was reminded of today: since they don't speak English in the village where we stayed, many times they wear American t-shirts and have no idea what they're advertising. For instance, one nine year-old boy ran up with a black shirt that read, "I'm a lesbian!" And another man, the sweetest, most gentle and quiet man in the village--one of the leaders of the church, I might add--proudly wore his "Pimpercrombie & B**ch" shirt for all to see.

4) We decorated for Christmas at our house last night. Except that all the ornaments and lights on the tree were strewn everywhere by this morning. Dang cats threw some sort of party while we were asleep. It's actually kinda funny, though. Hence the reason it gets included in my "things that make me laugh today" list.

So here's to laughter! Some days we just don't do it enough. . .

7 Comments:

Blogger Rob West said...

Word.
Up.

Man. I grok your mouth music, Lauren.

I didn't have much to laugh about today. But the best days are the ones where that happens most.

Ever listen to comedian Dane Cook? He'll blow yer dadgum socks off.

11:48 AM  
Blogger Lauren said...

what's grok?

Dane Cook. . .heard of him, haven't heard his comedy, I don't think. I seem to remember that he came to TLU once, but I don't think I saw him.

12:39 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

Grok is not a stew, I'll tell you that right now. And it's not to be confused with a merkin - oh heaven forbid! It's also not an animal found in the remotest regions of Bouvet Island. Sad, sad Bouvet Island.

It's actually

A TRANSITIVE VERB!

Eh, it pretty much means to have a deep, profound understanding of something. A whole lot less fun than Grok Stew.

1:40 PM  
Blogger Lauren said...

I have never heard of that word. Awesome. And I thought I was smart. . .

1:49 PM  
Blogger trishy said...

I've gotten lots of mileage out of those t-shirts. My boss and I have been laughing all afternoon. Thanks for that!

2:23 PM  
Blogger sarah said...

A friend of mine taught English in China last summer, and she told me that all the kids in her classes got to pick an "English" name for themselves. She said she taught kids named Superman, Three, and Milk... just because they liked those words/names.

But the t-shirt thing, that's just funny!!!

3:05 PM  
Blogger Me Over Here said...

Love Actually and Serendipity are the movies that I reserve for the holidays. Just like National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation is only to be watched on Christmas Eve. I can't wait to pop those into my DVD player. Sniff, I'll be right there with you, bawling my eyes out!

Nicole's cat also thinks her Christmas tree ornaments are quite tasty.

8:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home