Thursday, November 24, 2005

Indescribable

I got a car!!! After months of searching and e-mailing dealers in Austin and Dallas (my Dad is the coolest Dad ever for helping me out with this), I finally found one to buy. As of yesterday, I am the proud owner of a black 2005 Honda Civic. Yeah baby.

Here comes responsibility. Yes, my friends, this is the first car I've ever bought for myself. My name on the title. My money for the payments. Me. I've been incredibly blessed in the past with a good car to drive. And finally, the time has come for me to purchase my own. Right before I go to seminary. ha ha But my other car has been costing me a lot lately for maintenance here-and-there, so it's time for another one! And I'm sooooo excited. Again, thanks to Dad for helping me. He's the best.

Perfect segueway into my "I'm thankful for. . ." list:

1) My family--Mom, Dad, Mike, Barrett, Lee-lee, Byron, and numerous pets between the households. . .as we grow and the years continue to fly by, it's ever more amazing to me how blessed I am to be a part of this family. It's the one group in my life I can't choose. And I wouldn't have it any other way.

2) My friends--too many to list, but you know who you are. And if you're unsure whether or not you're on my list, rest assured that you probably are. :) I've often said to friends that laughing is my best (and often only) workout. . .therefore I attribute my healthiness to my friends --sometimes the mere thought of you can bring a smile to my face. What would we do without friends?

3) My job, my life in Austin, my future ahead of me--lots of wonderful times this past year and lots of changes coming up in the next. . .I'm thankful that things keep changing and that I don't feel "stuck" with where I am right now. My kiddos keep me guessing, laughing, and questioning that which I thought I knew. My co-workers are the best ever. I have come to recognize how much I love ministry and was indeed created for church work--and I'm not just okay with that, I'm excited about it! Thanks be to God for showing me new things.

4) Our God--though I question some things, complain about many things, wonder "why" way too often, try to hide the true Lauren from the world and be who I am not. . .Every day, You're the same. . .You never change. . .No, Never. (DC) All I can say is not enough--THANK YOU.

May the turkeys be yummy, may the naps be many and restful, may the hugs be comforting, may your tummies be full. And even as our tummies are full, let us remember those whose tummies are empty. May we not just be thankful for what we have, but be bold enough to give what we have to others.


Happy Thanksgiving!


***
I just realized that I started out this post talking about my new car and ended with remembering those who don't have what we have. How do we keep perspective? It's tough stuff, but we gotta keep trying.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Tim said...

Seminary? I didn't know you were headed to seminary any time soon. That's awesome! Where are you gonna go? I hear DTS is a pretty good school. ;-)

11:15 AM  
Blogger Me Over Here said...

Happy Belated Thanksgiving, Lauren!

8:04 PM  
Blogger Rob West said...

Hmmm,

Maybe you'd like to sponsor the ol' Swankytown Roadtrip?

7:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home