Sunday, November 27, 2005

I Love Johnny!

Mom, Leah, and I went to see Walk the Line yesterday. Oh my goodness. Fabulous. And I will go ahead and admit something embarrassing (and hilarious) to all of you in blog-world: when I saw the previews on TV for this movie, I said to my sister, "Oh, that's about Elvis, right?" What a nerd. My mom cracked up when I told her this, so during the movie, I joked with her, "Why do they keep calling Elvis 'John'?" To be honest, I didn't know much about Johnny Cash (really, Lauren?), but now I'm probably annoying to all true Johnny Cash fans because I all-of-a-sudden love the guy. I came to my dad's house afterwards and we got out his old Johnny Cash records. . .fun stuff. That movie was so good. Again, I probably loved it because I didn't really know much about him and his life. . .but still. I loved it. And it doesn't hurt that I love Joaquin Phoenix and Reese Witherspoon, too.

Last night a bunch of us celebrated Teddy's birthday. . .I saw some people from high school I hadn't seen in like 6 years. Crazy. We went to Fox & Hound, then to Cowboys. If you know Cowboys, you're probably laughing right now. I still am. It's basically the only dance club in Arlington and, hence the name, quite country. Lots of drunk cowboys. . .and us. We were out on the dance floor quite a bit, which was really fun. I was out til 2:30 am, which is quite late for little Lauren. But no regrets here.

Headed back to the ATX tomorrow sometime. Until next time, my friends. . .

10 Comments:

Blogger Becky said...

Goodness Lauren, I'm a little embarrassed that you didn't know who Johnny Cash was. I feel like I have lacked in that department. I'll have to burn you one of his cd's that I have. I also got to see one of his guitars in the Country Music Hall of Fame, I'll have to show you the pic.

Cowboy's, huh?!!! I must admit that I have been to the one in San Antonio a couple of times. Not my favorite place in the world, but I do love to two step and I may have looked out of place there, I usually had a good time.

I read you got your car!! Yea, I'm so excited for you. Now we'll definitely have to get together sometime this week!
I miss you girl and I can't wait to hang out. See ya.

3:24 PM  
Blogger Lauren said...

I know, how embarrassing about Johnny Cash, huh? I'm a dork. I'm so uneducated. And to think I was a music major for a while in college?! ;) I just thought he was some country singer. . .I knew of him, but didn't know his music or anything. Anyway. . .

Ohhhh yes, Cowboy's. Not my favorite place in the world, either, but two-steppin' is definitely fun. . .and one of my buddies, Jared, can totally dance! So I was whirlin' and twirlin' away. :)

3:37 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

I forget who said it, but there's the famous quote that goes, "There are two types of people: people who like Johnny Cash and the others who love him." I like that quote.

Since that movie has been released, Johnny's music has been selling like hot cakes. "At Folsom Prison" is the 6th best-selling album on amazon.com right now. Bizarre, yet accurate and deserved!

5:13 PM  
Blogger Me Over Here said...

Hey Lauren! Haha, Cowboys (here it used to be Far West Rodeo!) That and Midnight Rodeo were THE places to go when in college. Now, yes, it's a bit embarrassing to admit that I've been there since college, but hey, dancing is probably my favorite activity in the world, and you have to admit that *some* (Not all) of the guys there at least know how to get around the dancefloor. I heart dancing!

Wasn't sure if I wanted to see Walk the Line, but your raving review makes me want to see it! Thanks!

8:11 PM  
Blogger Rob West said...

I went to a place like that in Raleigh called the Long Branch. It wasn't my idea. I'm preppy. At least, I try to be. But my Gettin Lucky in Kentucky T-Shirt might indicate otherwise.

I've been curious about Walk the Line. I'm not much for biographicals, I thought "Ray" was a little boring (sorry, Capn) even though Jamie Foxx was fantastic. But I'd definitely give it a try.

7:34 AM  
Blogger Lauren said...

oh, MOH, I heart dancing, too! And I've definitely been to Far West while in college. I agree-not all the guys are nasty drunken cowboys. . .I mean, if we're there, then that proves that nice, clean people DO go there, right? :)

8:45 AM  
Blogger sarah said...

Sounds like a lot of fun!! I'm wanting to see "Walk the Line" too, but I haven't managed to get to the movies since I've moved back down here... so we'll see how far I get.

10:17 AM  
Blogger trishy said...

Oh Lauren, I must educate you in the country music department. I really want to see the movie - I'm interested in how they portrayed Johnny Cash because he was not always the best guy, though his music and story are fantastic.

I can't wait to see you and Court later this week!!

1:15 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

Rob West:

Did I ever say Ray was good? If I did, I must've been bluffing or really hard up for something to write about...

I was talking to my buddy Bryant at work about it that Monday:
"So I watched Ray over the weekend."
B: "Yeah? Did you like it?"
"Nah. It focused way to much on the fact that he was womanizer and was a heroin addict and that really got old."
B: "Yeah, well, that's Hollywood."
"Well, Hollywood needs to start being more interesting."

Trishy:

I hear that Johnny's daughter - don't ask me which one - doesn't approve of the film because of the way it portrays her mother, June Carter, and not so much Johnny. Though, I almost imagine Johnny being a tad bit exaggerated in either direction, good or bad. I wasn't alive during his hey-day so I wouldn't know.

2:02 PM  
Blogger Lauren said...

I think they portray Johnny well. . .well, what do I know. . .but they definitely show his addictions and mistakes. I heard that one of his daughters didn't like the way they portrayed Johnny's first wife. . .who knows.

2:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home