Monday, October 24, 2005

Who, Me?

I'm always told that "someday I'll appreciate" the fact that almost everyone who meets me assumes that I'm younger than I am. But it's quite annoying. Here's the most recent example, which occurred on a college campus last night while accompanying my high school youth to a campus ministry function:

college girl who thought I was in high school: You high school students are fun! (or some comment like that)
me (realizing that she thinks I'm one of the high school students and starting up a conversation with the intent of setting her straight): What year are you in school?
college girl: Well, I'm a 'super senior'--I should have graduated last year, but I'm graduating this year.
me: Oh, so you're just a year younger than me. Cool.
college girl (looking at me with much disbelief, as if I'm soooo silly for thinking I could possibly be older than her): Umm. . .I'm going to be 23 soon.
me: Yep, I'll be 24 in a month. That's cool.
college girl who thought I was in high school: Really? Oh my gosh, I thought you were in high school! I'm sorry!
me (laughing politely and nodding my head): Oh, no worries, it definitely happens all the time.

Later, after worship, some of the other college students came up and said, "So I hear you're the youth minister? Wow, you've already done the whole college thing?"

Yes. I was done 2 years ago, in fact.

I think what really got me last night is the look that girl gave me. Like I must have been so stupid to talk to her like she was younger than me. Uggggghhhhhh. Annoying.

On the bus on the way back home, I was talking to some of my youth group about it and I said, "Well maybe I should dress more professionally or something" (after all, I was wearing flip flops, a hoodie, jeans. . .normal attire for me) and Justin says, "No way. Don't do that." ha ha Okay, I'll keep being myself.

And everyone else can just keep thinking I'm 18. This happens quite often, too. Like this past Friday, I was in Kerrville, standing in line to buy a Dr. Pepper at a gas station. And one of the attendants at another register, a nice cowboy-ish man, called to me, "I can get you over here, little one." I smiled. "Little one" just makes me laugh. I guess it's not so bad. It's kinda cool that I can slip into high schools and walk around like I'm one of the kids. No one ever asks me if I have a visitor's pass. I guess that's only a perk when you're a youth minister, huh? But the psychology lover in me thinks it's fun because I could do numerous studies on high school campuses and never look suspicious. :) And at least Becky deals with it, too. . .in Key West, we surprised many people when we told them how old we were. Some didn't even believe us. Whatever.



In other news, I went shopping for Guatemala today and got some HOT black rubber boots. Oh yes, I am cool. :) Apparently we'll need them while we trudge through the mud and swampy stuff. Leah saw them and said, "Wow, these are cool." Definitely.

I slept in today, which was nice. I have the day off, even though I have a meeting tonight. . .ugh. So I'm going to enjoy the rest of my day before I have to go. Adios, mis amigos.





And I'll sing songs and hope you're listening carefully
And know exactly what I mean
~Copeland

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

L doubele D!

Your turning 24...I was thinking maybe 18...maybe 19...ok..just kidding..

at least you could date younger guys and no one would be able to tell the difference...there could be a bonus

1:01 PM  
Blogger Rob West said...

My voice didn't change until I was fifteen. FIFTEEN. That's a 1 and a 5. Sophomore year of high school.

It's funny now but it wasn't then. Being the late bloomer when you're a guy is as bad as being the early one when you're a girl. I remember being 14, in high school, and going to the store. I needed help finding something, so I said "excuse me" to a clerk who had his back to me. Before he had even turned around, he said "Yes, ma'am?".

That hurt.

Anyway, count your blessings, though, you're only about 10 years away from trying as hard as you can to not look your age under any circumstances.

2:45 PM  
Blogger trishy said...

My dear friend, I didn't even ask about your trip when we were on the phone the other night. Thanks for listening to my endless tale. I can't wait to hear about it!

This little blog circle is kind of funny! I'm not sure how it all came to be. I stumbled upon the *damn thing* and the rest is history!

3:06 PM  
Blogger Becky said...

Lauren that is so funny...but not really because I know how you feel. We had an event at our church this weekend where we brought in some college kids and they all kept asking me what grade I was in. I always want to say something cocky, but then I refrain. I hear I'll appreciate it one day, but right now, it just makes me a little frustrated. Oh well...

3:33 PM  
Blogger Me Over Here said...

I was at the gas station once, getting some drinks for me and my mom, and she asked me to pick up a Quick Pick lottery ticket for her. Being 24, I knew this wouldn't be a problem.

Until I went in and asked for it. The clerk look at me all cock-eyed and goes, "Can I see your ID, sweetheart?"

"Really? It's in the car, do you really need it?" I ask.

"I'm afraid so, you just look too young."

So, after showing her my ID and getting about 23 more "You just look so YOUNG"s, I was finally able to purchase the ticket.

Oh, and I also get: "Are you even old enough to drive, Sweetie?"

People tell me I'll appreciate it when I'm older. When that day comes, I'll let you know. :-)

6:16 PM  
Blogger Lauren said...

I love my blog friends! You guys rock. I smiled at every comment you left. :)

6:31 PM  
Anonymous Tim said...

Hey, you don't know me. I keep up with youth ministry blogs through www.technorati.com and yours popped up today. Just thought I'd leave a note to say I had to grow a gotee so youth group visitors knew I was a leader. (Apparently I play around too much with 'em and fit in a little "too" well.) ;-) I look like I'm 15 without it.

7:59 PM  
Blogger Jona said...

I'm sorry, but I'm too old (and desperately trying not to look my age) to offer any sympathy.

But. One thing I do recall from when I travelled across the US at twenty is being told I didn't look more than seventeen, and constantly being asked why my parents were allowing me to travel with a girlfrind when I was obviously so young! Bizarrely I had been passing for eighteen since I was fourteen at home - so I can only guess American girls tend to look older for their age.

5:30 AM  
Blogger Rob West said...

You see Lauren? Just grow a goatee! Problem solved!

Oh wait. Can't grow a goatee? Oh.
I...uh... I know how you feel. I can't grow one either.
And *THAT* is not funny. Screw you guys.

I think I'm starting to go bald, but I still can't grow a goatee.

12:40 PM  
Blogger InHisGlory said...

Yeah about the whole looking-younger-than-you-really-are thing...I go through it too!! In fact, just Tuesday at Praise & Worship, I had the following conversation with a friend of mine who obviously thought I was about his age:

Me: It must be a maturity thing
Ben: Or an age thing
Me: Yeah see there ya go....how old are you, like 18 right?
Ben: Yeah, 18. Why? How old are you?
Me: 24
Ben: WHAT???? Oh my gosh you're OOOOOOLD!!!

11:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home