Wednesday, October 12, 2005

Puzzle

Some seem to be born with a nearly completed puzzle.
And so it goes.
Souls going this way and that
Trying to assemble the myriad parts.

But know this. No one has within themselves
All the pieces to their puzzle.
Like before the days when they used to seal
jigsaw puzzles in cellophane. Insuring that
all the pieces were there.

Everyone carries with them at least one and probably
Many pieces to someone else's puzzle.
Sometimes they know it.
Sometimes they don't.

And when you present your piece
Which is worthless to you,
To another, whether you know it or not,
Whether they know it or not,
You are a messenger from the Most High.

-Lawrence Kushner

**********************************
Throughout my life, people have provided me with pieces to my puzzle. Through knowing them, I gained insight into myself, my heart, my mind, my perspective, my world. And they probably didn't even know that they gave me a piece of my puzzle!

Sometimes after I received the puzzle piece, I never saw that person again. There was a reason and a season for that person to be in my life. . .we exchanged puzzle pieces, fit the new pieces into our existing puzzles, and moved on as more complete people than we had been when we met.

And there are others who are still an active presence in my life--possibly continuing to present me with even more puzzle pieces as time goes on.

But even though my pieces are from different people--some who brought joy into my life, some who brough pain, some who impressed me, some who disappointed me, some whose presence was only meant to last a certain amount of time, some whose presence will last a lifetime--the pieces are equally significant. They all go into my puzzle. They are all needed to complete me.

So here we are--incomplete, often ugly puzzles. . .puzzles that try so hard to complete ourselves by our own means. We are "souls going this way and that/trying to assemble the myriad parts" of ourselves. And as we bump into each other along the way, hurriedly attempting to finish our own puzzles, we are actually finishing others' puzzles.

You are a messenger from the Most High.

2 Comments:

Blogger Becky said...

Dang girl...that was very profound, very true, and very insightful. You amaze me every day! See you tonight.

12:40 PM  
Blogger Rob West said...

Hi, my name's Rob, and I know you don't know me, but I wanted to respond to this post, because it reminded me of something.

There is a song by the Smashing Pumpkins called "With Every Light". It is a truly amazing song, and one of my favorites. The point of the song, more or less, is that everything you've ever seen, said, or done, and everyone you've ever met, is a part of who you are.

Like, to the point where, if you never read this post, you'd be a different person than who you are now that you HAVE read it (make sense?). Not, dramatically different, of course, but in that very small way, you're a different person. And a million little tiny things add up to make us who we are. If a million tiny things about us were different, we'd eash be a very different person.

But I'm rambling. The point is, everyone you've ever met, good or bad, like them or not, is a part of you, and you are a part of them, for that reason.

Now I know it all hippie-ish talking about universal harmony and how we're all one or whatever it is hippies talk about, but I don't look at it that way. I think, whatever your belief, this makes a lot of sense. :-D

2:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home