Wednesday, September 21, 2005

Surprise, surprise

As a youth minister, sometimes there are moments when you feel like will never get through to your kids. And then there are moments when you feel like you connect, that they get it!, that what you say actually does matter in their lives.

I listened tonight as the group of 8th grade boys--the ones who love to talk, love to joke, love to NOT listen to me when I am talking-- shared more answers than anyone else in the room. They had wise thoughts about their faith. One of them prayed out loud at the end of the lesson. And the biggest thing, the most precious thing, is that they were looking intently at me as I taught. They were listening. They were soaking it in. They were challenged when we read Matthew 5:44 (Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you.) and I pushed it further just to get them thinking, "Hmm. . .I guess this means we should pray for Osama bin Laden? What do you think?" They had many comments about that--I had to move along in the lesson because they would have debated forever had we had the time for it. :)

And it's obvious that their parents are teaching them things that are preparing them for a life of faithful service, whatever that may mean for each of them. I'm just blessed to know them. Plus, it's pretty fun when the "way too cool" 8th grade boys actually think I'm cool. What the heck?

1 Comments:

Blogger Becky said...

Yea Lauren, I'm so proud of you. I'm struggling with parents wanting me to work one on one with their youth because the parents can't get through to them. It's flattering, but oh my goodness. What makes them think I'll get through to them? But I'm super happy for you. 8th grade boys are just hard to work with regardless of the situation. Love ya.

8:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home