Tuesday, September 20, 2005

I Should be Ashamed!

So last night, Leah and I played tennis at Bowie HS. And this guy, a middle-aged man, jogs by and keeps staring at us as he runs. So I say (into my Nalgene bottle as I'm taking a drink), "Stop staring, old man." He looks at me again, then is out of sight. Leah is cracking up at this point. I didn't think the man could hear me. . .at least, I wasn't planning on him hearing me. I made my comment quietly, or so I thought.

This experience is quite common in my life. I have several close friends who become easily embarrassed when they're with me because I'll say something that, in my ears, sounds quiet, but apparently can be heard by everyone around me. How does this happen? Do I speak louder than I intend to? Probably. I guess I should take a lesson from this--don't say things unless you're perfectly comfortable with others around you hearing it. As my mother would say, "You should be ashamed of yourself!" I am. But is it only because I think the man might have heard me? Maybe. I don't know if I would feel ashamed otherwise. I mean, he was staring at us. It was gross and weird. Hmmmm. . .

3 Comments:

Blogger Becky said...

That really is gross to have old men staring at you. I don't think you were out of line at all. It's not like you were in the wrong...he was the one being creepy. And just think...if you didn't say anything, he would probalby still be jogging around you right now, staring...

6:43 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

don't worry..I hear that from women all the time!!:) QJ<>

11:05 PM  
Anonymous Emily said...

Oh Lauren....when will you learn?! haha...you "should be ashamed" but it'll happen again, and again, and again... that's why I love you, you keep life exciting (and embarassing) ;-)

8:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home