Wednesday, May 18, 2005

Little Theologians

Today was the last day for preschool chapel. . .I always read the 4 year-olds a Bible story and sing with them during chapel, so I miss it during the summertime. One thing that has
intrigued me with this year's class is the way they pray: most of them get on their knees and put their faces on the ground during the closing prayer--if that makes any sense. Their upper bodies are bent over completely. It's so cool to watch. Normally I close my eyes when I pray, but one time I looked around and noticed how they were praying and ever since then it's fascinated me. I don't know why. . .it's cute, but I also find it pretty powerful. Today we read the story of Jonah and the whale and we talked about how God is everywhere. The kids were talking to each other after the story and I thought the way their minds were sorting through stuff was interesting. Here's an example of an conversation I was a part of:

Matthew: If God can see everything, can God see space??
me: Yes, God can definitely see space. God is IN space, too--He is everywhere.
Matthew (with mouth wide open): Wowwww.
Elaina: God is HIGHER than space--He is way way way way up there! Past the clouds.
Jacob: No, God isn't high up, He is right here!

As they continued to explore where God resides, I tried to tie it all together for them. But they're theologians of their own right and it's fun to think about how their ideas will continue to be formed as they grow. Since I usually work with older kids, this is a random opportunity for me to see the world through the eyes of the younger ones, and I'm thankful for it.



In other Lauren news, this week has been way fun. . .lots of surprises that make me wonder what God is up to. Just when you think you've got it all figured out. . .




Eyes closed tight
because if the skyline looks this way
then I don't want to sleep tonight.
~Mae

2 Comments:

Blogger Becky said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

9:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very nice post, sweet. I enjoyed it! and, i didn't post the comment that was removed:)
see ya mananananan

7:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home