Wednesday, February 02, 2005

It's the Little Things

Sometimes things just work out. It's weird. For instance, every Wednesday night I put together an activity or game of some sort for the 7th & 8th graders at the beginning of confirmation. And this is hard, guys. I'm not a games girl. I'm not a wild 'n crazy youth director who plays all the sloppy messy games. (Court tells me that I'm a sucky youth minister because of this fact; however, I promptly tell her to shut her mouth.) Anyway, my ideas never work out. My kids hate my games--at least, that's my interpretation of their constant talking to each other and laughing while I'm trying to talk. Then again, these are the hallmark traits of middle school behavior, I guess. Regardless, I hate planning games. And it turns out that I have these books in my office that are full of "middle school games"--advertised to be perfect for adolescents. The games described in these books are absolutely ridiculous. . .they sound so silly and I thought, "There's absolutely no way my kids would get into that." But out of desperation, I tried one tonight. And it was perfect. They loved it. They were having fun! And when it came time to pray, they were quiet. I can't tell you how exciting it was for me. It was a chair game, guys. . .a circle of chairs with the object being to keep the people in the middle from sitting in the empty seats. . .sort of like musical chairs. And they enjoyed it. They were laughing. I was cracking up at the sliding and falling and pushing and shoving.

I love those kids. . .that is, when they love my games. ;) Just kidding. I love them very much. But when we have fun together like that, it makes it so much more fun. Adolescence is hard, and being friends with adolescents can be even harder (remember junior high, folks? man, it was rough. . .). Sometimes I think they hate me, and the next minute I think they like me. It's funny.

Thank You, God, for Your precious children. And thank You for my change in attitude--all because of a silly game!




I am extraordinary
if you ever get to know me.
~Liz Phair



2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sissy I had fun this weekend. I hope to see you soon. Have a great weekend!

5:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Crap! I meant week! : )

5:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home